our missionUNTIL EVERYONE KNOWS JESUS.
Everyone in the city of Columbus (and beyond) needs to have an encounter with Jesus! Not just knowing about him or hearing about him, but an intimate encounter with the living God. We believe that the local church is God’s plan to equip and send out everyday missionaries into our schools, neighborhoods, offices, and social settings to be a representative of Jesus in every one of our corners. Everyone is invited, and no one is left the same after getting to know God’s incredible, life transforming love.
How we started and where we are going
Kathy and David moved to Columbus early 2014 where David had taken a job as Commercial CFO at Huntington - and knowing God was in their move to come here, they started looking for a church right away. About 6 months of that, November 2014, Kathy and David were in Chicago, and they both had the impression that God was asking them to start a church in Columbus. For months and years before, there had been others in this city meeting together to pray and worship. Their paths crossed with David and Kathy and together they started 614 Church in November 2014.
They started in their house because they felt no particular need to wait. They had clearly heard God wanted them to start.
It was 4 adults and 4 kids for a few weeks, and then people started visiting. The church spent 9 months in the Swart house, then 18 months at Gables Elementary school, and a couple years at Centennial High School.
David felt the call to stop his job at Huntington in 2021 to become full time pastor at 614.
We believe that Jesus loves His church far more than we can imagine. We want to have a church with people who are serving, loving, and involved in life groups. We want people to find a home here as a safe place they can know and be known.
- We are obsessed with Jesus. It’s all about Jesus all of the time and we will follow him no matter the cost.
- We will love first, and ask questions later. We love people wherever they are and enough to not leave them there. There is grace for everyone’s journey.
- Servant leadership is at the heart of who we are and what we do. Jesus redefined greatness by serving. We lead courageously through sacrificial service, following the example of Jesus.
- We intentionally live by the Holy Spirit. We can and must hear and obey the Holy Spirit.
- We are a people who cultivate, enjoy, and invite belonging. We value unity and teamwork as we are infinitely more together than we are alone.
- We will go to great lengths to reach those who need Jesus. We live our lives with the purpose of helping others meet, experience, and follow Jesus.
- Prayer is our first response, Not our last resort. We expectantly pray big prayers to a God that is always bigger than we can imagine.
- We get to be irrationally generous. We are joyfully generous with our time, talents, and treasures as a response to the nature of God.
- Excellence is our worship. Excellence in all we do is our response to the wonder of who God is! We are on time, engaged, and prepared, as this honors one another, and honors Father God.